Guyanese Flag

Guyanese Flag

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

PST, Host Family, GUY 26

I was able to find an internet cafe down the road from where I live. Although I have only been in Guyana for two weeks it feels like a long time. GUY 26 has 34 trainees which are all my best friends already. Everyone is extremely friendly and the PC staff has been helping us transition into life in Guyana. Pre-Service Training will continue until July 3rd where the staff decides if we are capable of serving in Guyana for two years. Every day consists of technical and cultural training and although it is a little overwhelming I am learning a ton of information that will help me down the road. During week one we stayed at a resort on a creek/river and started our training sessions from 8 AM to 5 PM everyday. For the last two weeks we have stayed with a host family and have continued our training. I am not sure of what information I can give because of security reasons and do not want to get in trouble, but I can say my host family is very hospitable and have helped a lot. I live with an older family which has three children in their late 20's, early 30's that live at home. I have learned how to hand wash my laundry, cook a few Guyanese cuisines and catch a minibus to training everyday. I have also started working at a local elementary school, so far mostly observing the teaching methods and applying what I learned in training so far to teaching a class. I am proud to say I conducted my first classroom activity yesterday and it went well, and the teacher and I have started to build a productive work relationship which I am happy about. I have so much more to write about Guyana but it will have to come in my next blog post!

No comments:

Post a Comment